11 January, 2016

Family (and lots of photos)

Family

It’s a beautiful word.

I’ve been thinking about family lately- the blessing, the opportunity, the sheer joy I had to be able to spend 4 months with my family, living with them, simply being with them again.

Being able to hear the rhythm, the lull of voices in the background that was the voices of my siblings; washing dishes with my sisters; participating in their youth group; being given a tour of our tiny town; living life with them again. I realized how much I missed them.

I’m so thankful for the moments I had with my family. Moments that weren’t planned. Photo adventure with theyoungest; trips to Walmart at near midnight; sitting at a picnic table sharing my heart and being comforted by my brother; jamming to One Direction and Shawn Mendes with my sisters while driving home, driving around our neighborhood so we could finish the song; walking around a sort of business area in San Francisco, the rain painting the ground with the reflections of the city lights; waking up to the sounds of the voices of my family members; raking the leaves with my youngest brother, feeling for the first time in a long time like we had connected; simply living with them.

With a suitcase holding pictures and a heart holding memories, I said goodbye to my family, making my way to the door I hope to enter again soon. While making my way through the kitchen, I whispered to Jesus, “Protect my family, Jesus, until I return.” His immediate reply,
            “I love your family so much more than you ever could. I’ve got them.”
And with that, tears that had been longing to be released, threatened to spill out once again and my heart that felt like it might break was filled with an assurance and a peace that Jesus, He’s got them. He loves them, oh of course He does! And he will be with us until we meet again… and even still.

I think this is the hardest time I have had leaving family. Usually I have a hard time comprehending the long hugs and teary eyes that come with departures… But this time was different. I felt like weeping. Life isn’t perfect and neither is family; but it’s beautiful and it’s a gift. And I am thankful.

Thank you God, for your faithfulness and for your gift; thank you for placing me in a family that loves me, that cares for me, that is hilarious and crazy, and that loves you.

Much love,


Brittaney :)
Mom and Dad when they picked me up from the airport. One year is a long time... 
On our way to Walmart! 
Had to take a picture- I missed Walmart... then I went and got lost and couldn't find simple items. haha. 
Audriona's Birthday lunch- it had been 4 years since I'd been able to be with her for her birthday. I even got to spend Angelina's birthday with her too (which is the day before Audri's).
THANKFUL
These girls... my answers to prayer, joys to my heart, and lovers of Jesus. They're going places. 
Goofing off. 
Our version of "Hear no evil, Speak no evil, See no evil."
She likes photo adventures...
... and we love each other. 

We went to the baseball field to play soccer... 
None of us actually play soccer, but it was SO much fun. :)
Walk with mom. It was great. Until it rained and we got lost. Then it was tiring and frustrating. hahaha. But we eventually made our way home and got lots of exercise and I got to share my heart and hear my mom's counsel.
"Sly..." was what Alex said when I asked someone to take a photo of us, then ducked behind the kangaroo set-up. But really, I thought he knew that's what I wanted to take a picture behind, I mean, who can resist a kangaroo cut-out that you can stick your head into? 
Went with the brother to take a few photos for a few of his essays that will be published! 
We were watching Master Chef Kids when there was a marshmallow challenge. I asked if we had marshmallows, just wanted to eat a few  (I love marshmallows and we don't really have marshmallows in Brazil that aren't shaped like cars and taste fruity)...
... and before we knew it, we were toasting marshmallows over candles. haha!!! Creativity I must say... 
We wanted to go on a hike! 
So we found a place nearby with a trail.... 
.... and made an adventure. :)
Reflections and feet. 
Sister Photo! Used the self-timer and the other side of the bridge rail.
Angelina caught a frog!
Taking a picture of the selfie.
The SELFIE
Before the family vacation, taking a quick trip to Taco Bell.

On our way to Mendocino where we spent a few days as a family. 
Family Vacation- what a blessing! Without internet or phone service, we played random games, talked, and had our own version of a Mexican soap opera, complete with music and Spanish! ;) 
My older brother, this guy was my first best friend and I still consider him one of them. :)
I think Nick actually wanted to take a serious picture, at one point. 
"Look there's a mirror, let's take a family 'selfie!'"
Love this girl... so beautiful. :) 
Love my brothers.
This girl...
... and her expressions....
.... love them!
Our family vacation photo- this was our attempt of, "Let's put the camera on a tripod and see what we get!" I think it turned out nice. 
This was our "Everyone do something silly!" Or something like that. Yeah.... we all agreed you got a bit of each of our personalities in this photo. It almost became the Christmas card...  This one will definitely be printed. 
A good friend, Jim took our formal family photos- it's not easy to get 10 people looking at you at the same time! hahaha. So glad I have a new picture I can print and hang on my wall. :)
The girls- or really, wow... more like women now. 
I told Jonathan I was going to rake leaves and if he wanted to help me, he could. A few minutes later he was outside with me. I'm so thankful for connection. I love this guy. 
I told my sisters I wanted to learn how to beat box. Angelina then taught us how. Wait in anticipation for our album. ;) 
When at Walmart and you see a large blow up Christmas scene in the garden center, a picture must be taken. ;) 
Love this guy. His passion for music inspires me as does his drive to be the best he can be.
I quite enjoyed the bass lines he played. 
I wasn't planning on seeing the new film, but Alex wanted to see it for his birthday, so a majority of my siblings (only missing two in this picture) loaded up in the car and went to see the film. Loved it! 
On our way to a Christmas Eve service, I pulled over to take a picture of the beautiful landscape and had to take a selfie too.
Love them. 
Hours before I left, my sisters took me on a tour of our town. 
Group hug- I'm in the middle (that's why you can't see me... haha)
Older brother and Mom brought me to the airport and waited for me to go through security. So thankful for them. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment