04 May, 2012

Learning to Love

May 3, 2012

As some of you may know, today was the National Day of Prayer.

Tonight there was a prayer gathering at one of the churches here in Chico. One of the YWAM staff members was asked to lead prayer for our nation at this gathering.

I was debating on whether or not I would go. What convinced me was taking pictures of my fellow staff member and of the prayer gathering itself.

Upon arriving at the church and entering the sanctuary, I realized something.

I didn’t really want to pray for my nation.

I realized that I didn’t have a love for my country or people as I’ve had for other countries and peoples. I didn’t really think that revival can come and that America can change.

I didn’t have a whole lot of hope.

A thought struck me,

If you were in another country with the opportunity to attend a prayer gathering for that nation, would you have debated on whether or not you should go?

Honestly, probably not. In fact, I would have prayed with fervor and with passion for revival to come to that nation.

Why?

Because God had called me to that country and given me a love and a passion for the people.

I have been called to this nation, America, for this season in my life.

America. This is my mission field.

Oh, what a faulty mindset I have had! 

I honestly wish I could say I was instantly changed and prayed with a new love, fervor, and hope for this country of mine, but that would not be entirely true.

God, give me a love and a passion for my own people and for my own country! Help me to love them as you do. Give me your eyes… Let me see beyond the masks; let me see what you see.

I must say that hearing my Brazilian roommate pray with passion and fervor for my country, for “this people”, MY people, really touched my heart.

I know this isn’t the “best looking” blog and I hope I haven’t offended you.

May God give us his heart for our people, HIS people.


Learning to Love,

Brittaney




1 comment: